Boncănitul/ mating roar of deer
When fall creeps at the end of September and early October, the forests echo with the impressive mating roar of deer. The whole nature stays still to hear better the mating and the fighting roar of male deer, which lean their antlers on their back to release the terrifying mating roar. They start by producing an intense sniff as a way of releasing steam that surrounds their wet muzzle, then a gentle roar followed by the loud and long roar, like a lion that protects its territory. Now, the deer is the king! The competition is fierce: every deer tries to attract females by their mating roar, each roar being their mark to be distinguished. Only the strongest will become the partner of the female deer!
The chance to be a witness in the supremacy mating battle of deer could be only one in a lifetime. Along with a guide from Calimani National Park, one can have this chance! The adventure starts after the sunset, and during the journey, you will find amazing facts about the diversity of flora and fauna, thematic paths, secular trees, stories and legends.
Place: Călimani National Park
- Availability: 15 September – 15 October
- Duration: about 6 hours
– 16:00 – 17:00 – the meeting and presenting the Visitors’ Center of Calimani National Park
– 17:00 – 18:30 – the journey trail
– 18:30 – 20:00 – the show of the mating roars
– 20:00 – 22:00 – going back journey
- Maximum of participants: 4 people
- Necessary equipment: warm plain clothes, snow rackets, hiking boots, flashlight and raincoat.
- Included services: Specialized guide in interpreting nature, car transfer, visiting park fee, and refreshments.
- Price:500 lei/group, no matter the number of participants
Notice: The organizing and developing of this type of activity can alter due to climatic factors.
Details and booking: 0744 571 889